Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Palabra Pura Presents: Gabriela Jauregui and Miguel López Lemus

Palabra Pura Presents: Gabriela Jauregui and Miguel López Lemus

Date: Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Time: 7:30
Cost: Free admission, all ages
Location: Decima Musa, 1901 S. Loomis Ave., Chicago

Gabriela Jauregui, born in Mexico City in 1979) is the author of Controlled Decay (Akashic Books/Black Goat Press, 2008. She holds an MFA in Creative Writing from UC Riverside and an MA in Comparative Literature from UC Irvine. Her translations, critical and creative work have been published in journals and anthologies in the US, Mexico, and Europe, including most recently in New American Writing, Mandorla, Drunken Boat, Hayden's Ferry, The Aesthetics of Risk (JRP Ringier, 2008), Lenguaraz, Revista Picnic and Eje Central, amongst others. She is a member of the sur+ press, a publishing collective in Mexico, and editor of Revista Animal in Mexico City. Gabriela is a Ph.D. candidate in Comparative Literature at USC and a Soros Fellow. She lives and works in Los Angeles and Mexico City.



Miguel López Lemus says,“I grew up in Mexico City's largest photo studio, "Oleo Photo." I started working in the darkroom when I was 7; we did all the photocoloring by hand with oil colors for all the other major studios. My father was the famous "Goyito" a friend of Frida and Diego. I started my own theatre company at the age of twelve and I have been acting and directing ever since. I have directed over 70 plays. I create sculptures in marble, alabaster, wood, steel and other materials. I am a printmaker. I have always been a photographer. I am a poet.” His awards include: Center for New Television, Illinois Arts Council, Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs, Illinois Humanities Council, Randolph Street Gallery, and National Endowment for the Arts.

A short Open Mic will begin the evening.